Cheap/convenience foods turned healthy! Part 1.

I've decided to start a new series for you all! While I absolutely recommend eating clean/real foods as much as possible, I'm also a realist. 

People follow an 80/20 rule for a reason. I know sometimes you just don't have time to prepare a meal from scratch. Some months the grocery budget may truly come down to Pennies and you have get what you scrape by with. I get it. Really! 

So, to help everyone out I have decided to start posting a series of easy meals using some convenience foods with healthy spins. Sound good? 

So, first up in the series. Pasta sides. 

Tonight's spin- butter flavored pasta sides. I couldn't have picked a more processed starting food if I tried! This is also one of the cheaper foods in the store. Right at $1 a package. It's hard to pass up when you need to feed a family on a tight budget. I get it! 

Here is how I jazzed this side up, turned it into a meal jam packed of nutrients and protein. 

First off- when preparing the noodles you see it says "butter optional" yes, it is optional and we ARE opting NO BUTTER! I'm serious folks, leave it out! It's saves you calories, fat and sodium. These noodles are already jam packed with sodium so, let's minimize sodium additions! 

This particular side was cooked with water only start!

Since we are pretty limited in additions to this because of the sodium amount and white refined carbohydrates, we are going simple! 

While the noodles are cooking in one pot, boil some water and add broccoli to it. Boil the broccoli until tender. 

Once the noodles are done cooking add 1 cup of spinach. All you need to do is stir it in and that's that. Simple as can be. Once the broccoli is finished you set it to the side. You will add it but, not yet. 

Needing some protein? Cook up a chicken breast (no salt or butter!) I grilled it on the stove top using coconut oil. I seasoned it with garlic pepper seasoning. Nothing fancy, you're adding it into a pasta anyway! Cook it through then cut it into small pieces. 

Now, measure out 1 cup of the pasta. Then add in 4oz of the cooked chicken and 1/2-1 cup broccoli. Stir it all together and Viola!! You have a healthy (80/20), filling meal on a budget and with ease.

You get:
✴️ 1 serving of lean protein 
✴️ 2 servings of veggies 



This meal sets you back only about 400 calories and about $2 (or so) per person. Not bad at all for a dinner!  

As always, I recommend eating as clean as you can all day and making this meal (pasta) as your 20% of unclean for the day!

Like this? Stay tuned for the next recipe of the series later this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clean 21 Day Fix Veggie Dip!

Juicing and the 21 Day Fix!

3 Day Shakeology Cleanse