My Thyroid Struggles



Since it is Thyroid disease awareness month, I thought I would share with you my thyroid struggles!

Ill save you the back story because I have posted it a couple times before so, Ill just share you with my current struggles. See, last year everything was right in the world. I was at my goal weight, feeling great, my thyroid levels were normal (controlled by levothyroxine) and my fertility troubles seemed to start to correct themselves when I got pregnant! As I have wrote about many times before, I unfortunately miscarried that pregnancy. That is a key factor in my current struggles.

Many are not aware how closely a person with thyroid disease needs to be monitored during pregnancy. Reason being, women with thyroid disease are at a greater risk of infertility, anemia, placental abruption, premature delivery, low birth weight, stillbirth and miscarriage. A women with thyroid disease is twice as likely to miscarry than a women without. The thyroid hormone is crucial in the healthy development of the baby and for the mothers health. That being said, the thyroid can cause a lot of damage in this department. Pregnancy can also trigger a new thyroid disease to develop while also making current thyroid problems worse.

As I said, when I got pregnant my thyroid levels had finally regulated. Once I miscarried, my levels started going up. Each lab check they went up a little more. Recently, I had been feeling horrible. Total exhaustion to the point I was zombie like. No matter much sleep I got, I couldn't kick it. Then the hair loss started back up. My hair is naturally thin enough, I really don't need extra help in that department! My nails were peeling badly again. I started getting swelling in my hands and face again. The same fertility related problems that prompted me to get checked when I got diagnosed were starting back also. So, when I went in for my check I knew what to expect. I knew my levels were a little haywire. My thyroid was also enlarged a bit at this appointment (never had that before)

I feel so happy to have a proactive endocrinologist! He ran extra tests this time to check a few other things to make sure we covered everything we needed to cover. I brought up some treatments I had been reading about. Once all my labs came back we came up with a plan:

1. Increased dose of levothyroxine
2. Gluten Free diet. There have been a lot of studies coming up showing a link to thyroid symptoms and gluten. It may or may not work but, I am willing to try it!
3. Some fertility treatments I will save for another time.

Just within 2 days of my new dose, I have felt like a whole new person! My energy levels are getting better and better! Less hair falling out, ill take it! Its too early to tell how everything is working in the other area but, I feel confident we will get this fixed and under control!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clean 21 Day Fix Veggie Dip!

Juicing and the 21 Day Fix!

3 Day Shakeology Cleanse